Thursday, July 12, 2007

It's HOT!

Man, it is HOT! I thought I knew hot! But this is HOT!

They say it has been up to 37° almost every day for the last week. You know how much that converts to in Fahrenheit? It’s over 100°F!! That is extremely HOT! And that’s with humidity down!...... Yeah right! Down to 80% instead of 95%. Big deal!

I tried to play golf last Sunday afternoon in this heat. It was more than stifling! But how do the caddies do it? The Chinese seem amazingly immune to the conditions. I daily see workers in long sleeve shirts. And the caddies…. Their uniform consists of long sleeve shirts, long pants, and a vest-type outer garment too! I don’t know how they can stand it. You do see some Chinese with their shirts pulled up or off, but you still see about as many with long sleeve shirts on even the hottest of days.

They do use umbrellas almost religiously. They get a lot of use here. If it’s not to cover you from the rain, they are good for hiding you from the UV rays.

I know that most of you are probably thinking, “yeah it can’t be that hot.” Well, folks I keep a Google Gadget open with the weather in Advance, NC (back home – or at least my last real home) and Guangzhou, the closest city tracked by Weather.com on the Gadget. It’s amazing to see how the daily highs are similar, but the daily humidity is so different! I thought NC was really humid, but there the daily highs are around 95°F with humidity topping around 60%. Here its daily highs of 98°F with humidity of 80%. And I know you are saying the humidity gets higher than that in NC, but what I see is that whenever the humidity spikes higher, the temperatures drop! It don’t do that here folks!

And take a look at a Heat Index. There is a good one here. Now if you take today’s highs for temperature and humidity, the Heat Index says your body feels like the temperature is 66°C or a whooping 151°F! Tell me that isn’t hot!!

For Advance, the highs say 90°F and 63%RH for a Heat Index of 39°C or 101°F. Hot, but a lot better than what I’m working in here!