Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A Long Hot Day & Only 4:15

It’s 4:15 PM on Tuesday, and I am just sitting down to my desk for the first time today! What a day! Monday was a holiday here. Did you see the news about the 10th Anniversary of the Handover of Hong Kong to China? Well, that’s a big deal.

Every year the first day of July is celebrated as SAR Establishment Day. And of course, since I work for a Hong Kong company, I get the day off. The factory still works mind you, but no Hong Kong management is on site. It is amazing how well things move along without all the management in place daily. But it does.

I did have to come into the factory for an hour on Monday. My luck, that some samples were running that required me to check them prior to shipment. Being the only person in management living in China, I often get that opportunity on holidays. It’s not fun to come in on a holiday when everyone else is off, but I’m not really into celebrating SAR Establishment anyway.

But what about today? Well, of course, after any day off, things are hectic. Today has been no exception. Guests arrived early from Greece, and I provided tour of the facilities. Three hours later, we have lunch, and then I commence another tour with Hong Kong staff to inspect products. After two rounds of this over 1.1 million square feet facility, I’m finally setting down to check desk items.

And in this heat, touring this big factory is no cakewalk. Ten interconnected buildings. Most up to six floors high. Up and down floor after floor. Over 3000 employees running around everywhere. It takes a lot to see it all. And temps are again over 90°F with humidity in the same numeric range! Translation = HOT!

Well, I’m finally back now. At least the office is air conditioned! I better check email.

Labels: ,