Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Even Middle East in China


Years ago my family traveled to Disney World for a great week of entertainment. Always planning for a little cultural activity, we opted on that trip to visit the Moroccan Pavilion and enjoyed the food and festivities.

Months ago, another new restaurant opened just below my apartment. Most buildings are built such that the lower levels can have commercial revenue. My building has several restaurants, an entertainment complex, many Chinese bars, and even a business hotel. One of the restaurants had intrigued my interest, but for some reason I had resisted visiting until the other night.

I have no idea what the name of the restaurant is. Maybe that’s one of my reasons for my hesitance in visiting. The name is in Chinese and Arabic. There is no English translation. Usually there is always an English version. But in this case, I guess that Arabic scribbling pretty well speaks entirely for what it is: a Middle Eastern restaurant.

It is really the food from Xinjiang Province, which is in reality closer to the Middle East than it is to most of China. From my understanding it is right on the Silk Road just inside the China border. To visit this restaurant takes you closer to that culture. Like most of the food from the Middle East, it specializes in lamb dishes.

As I sat in this small restaurant near my home in Dongguan, I was well reminded of the Moroccan Disney experience. Here the décor was similar with unique accessories. As you arrive you are met by the strong cooking of simple skewers of meat over charcoals being prepared in a unique turret type building at the entrance. Inside, the two story establishment has a large open space in the center. An indoor chimney scales one wall decorated in bright tiles.

The dinner was excellent with many lamb dishes and naan bread. But the entertainment is what attracts people. One hostess dresses in typical Xinjiang attire and dances with a young man. It’s not a belly dance, but it is seductive and enjoyable. And by the looks of things, it is drawing a good nightly crowd to the simple restaurant.

Who would have ever thought I would be in Dongguan, China in 2007 eating Middle Eastern food and watching a “raqs sharqi” (dance)?

Labels: , , ,