Saturday, September 22, 2007

No Kidneys in China Now

Steve asked a good question in a comment recently. (Sorry I lost the copy trying to edit in Chinese - not a good idea.) He asked why I didn't just get a kidney in China. Most everyone has heard that you can get a kidney easily in China. Right? Well, not exactly. I’ve tried.

It seems the Chinese government has seen fit to come down with one of their blunt and abrupt decisions and has now banned kidney transplants in China - at least until after the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. They evidently do not want any risk of controversial publicity.

I have visited one transplant hospital in China. It didn’t quite meet all that I would desire of a transplant facility. But their reputation is very good. A second hospital that caters to Westerners was being scheduled, but they opposed a visit after the ban became effective.

I’m now considering options in India, Thailand, and Philippines. They each have good facilities with well trained doctors. However, more countries are requiring you to arrange your own donor. That isn’t so easy a task in a foreign country.

China may still be an option. My kidneys are still okay. If I make it until after the Olympics, maybe I’ll still have a chance to get a kidney here.

Labels: ,