Monday, January 28, 2008

Cold Start to Year of the Rat

Mickey Mouse characters are on the window of my office staring at me. More decorate the windows all around the offices. They include Chinese characters wishing a “Happy New Year!” Yes, it’s Spring Festival season, or the Chinese New Year. And it’s the Year of the Rat; hence mouse characters are prominently displayed in most decorations.

But the start of the New Year celebration has been difficult for many. Heavy snowfall has blanketed the mid and eastern sections of China and crippled transportation and power services. They say that yesterday over 100,000 people were stuck in the Guangzhou train station awaiting trains to the north. Many trains have been delayed for more than 24 hours. And the conditions even in Guangdong Province here in Southern China, are not too enjoyable, particularly when you have to wait outside in a never ending line for a train. It is cold and wet! Highs are reaching 45°F and dipping into the high 30’s at night.

I have not been warm in a week. I’m sitting in my office with extra coats and layer on layer of clothes. I’m even wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers hat, just because a guest left it for me, and it keeps my head warmer. I would wear gloves if I could type with them. All because buildings here have NO HEAT! None! Zippo!

How these people cope in this weather and with no heat is beyond reason. But they seem practically unaffected. They just go along like it is no big deal. Many store fronts are just that. They are a front which is open to the elements. But no one seems to mind. Amazing.

It might not be so easy for many later this week. They estimate the number at the Guangzhou train station might peak at 600,000 sometime this week as more workers start on their trek home. You see most employees are considered migrant workers. They work at a plant but maintain their home back from their roots. And come Chinese New Year, they all want to go home. Many have already started the long arduous march home. On the first recognized day last week, 53 million passengers filled buses in the nation. Another 200 million will travel by train and plane. That’s like moving everyone in the US.

Next week I go to Thailand for the New Year. I’m working at our new factory there. But at least I will be warm!

Labels: , , , ,