Thursday, May 28, 2009

Travel Channel in Asia (Forget Seville)

Ahhhh!! ...... It's Samantha Brown climbing to the top of the Cathedral of Seville again! I feel like I'm stuck in a rerun of Groundhog Day!

But I look outside, and I'm in North Carolina. It's not Dongguan this time! What's going on?

Okay, it was just a local rerun of Samantha Brown's visit to Seville on Travel Channel. Unfortunately, that's the same show I saw over a hundred times while living in China. It was the default show whenever the China censors didn't like the ABC Evening News broadcast. Which was frequent!

But I have enjoyed a couple of other Travel Channel shows in particular recently. The best is Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods. He travels the world and tries everything and anything. Recently, I caught reruns of his shows from Guangzhou, Taiwan, Thailand, and Asia. Wow! It had me downright wanting some of those local specialties, like black chicken, duck tongue, tofu, and tea. ............Okay, maybe not the tofu.

I didn't get to where I loved the foods of Asia, but I certainly enjoyed the foods. The adventurous nature in the choices, the spices, and the settings were all great. And Andrew explores them well. He even visits the Guangzhou Reasturant where our company dined on a business trip to the city. And the fresh chicken with the yellow skin looks exactly like that I had almost daily from our company chefs.

The shows get rerun often, so set your DVR and travel from your home to these special locales in Asia. The Guangzhou show is next on June 8 at 2 PM EDT. Catch it if you can, and just think of me sitting there being served all the same "bizarre foods".

Labels: , , ,