Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Over One Month Now

I got my new kidney on July 11. I guess I’ll always think about that fact every time I pass a Seven/Eleven convenience store.

As the days and weeks are now passing along, I’m getting stronger and healthier by the day. At least I sure think so. And the doctors seem to be concurring. They opted not to even see me today at the Transplant Clinic. Seems I was in such good health they sent me along so they could tend to the backlog of patients. They’ve been rather busy lately. They did nine transplants the weekend I was held over, and three more the following Tuesday. I don’t know if that is an inordinate number, but it seemed like a lot to me, and the hospital staff was strained to handle the increase of patients.

Last Friday, I got the IV line removed from my arm. I was released from taking antibiotics by IV daily, so there was no more need for the line. I still have to take antibiotics orally for 10 more days to assure the infection clears completely.

I do still have the wound vac. The incision is healing nicely with this marvelous machine. In measurements by my home health nurse, the incision has decreased from 22 cm to 15 cm already. I’ll still probably have to carry my “man-purse” with the pump for another 3–4 weeks. It is cumbersome, but I know it’s the best way to heal this.

In the meantime, I cannot drive a car. Since the wound is technically still “open”, they want no risk of me doing something that might hurt the healing process. So I’m a nuisance calling friends for rides to the numerous hospital, clinic, and other appointments they demand to maintain my care. There have been weeks, that I’ve had appointments every day. But soon, I should be down to only one visit a week.

These first few months are critical to assuring my body does not reject this new kidney. So the meds are extensive, and the care is close. I have to limit public exposure during this period too, so I cannot go to games, church, or other events for another few weeks, and have to be careful even after that.

But I am getting closer to the freedom of a regular life, with no tubes for dialysis or wound vacs, with a new lease on life. I can’t wait!

Labels: