Saturday, May 21, 2005

Saturday Cold

It was gonna happen sooner or later. Just didn’t expect sooner. Nothing worse than being sick in a foreign country by yourself…….. or maybe there is: where no one speaks English.

Ms. Vicky, our finishing manager, has been working with me this week, and asked last night if I was getting a cold when I happened to cough at dinner. I replied no at the time, but she must be clairvoyant. When I awoke this morning, I definitely had a cold. Not too bad, but its been getting worse.

Now you have to understand that I am one of the few managers remaining here in Dongguan on the weekend. The plant operates seven days a week, but most managers are from Hong Kong, and a bus leaves on Saturday afternoon to take them back home. They return again on Monday about 9 AM. So when they left this afternoon, I have no one else on site that speaks English.

Thankfully, I do have a cell phone, and have several phone numbers so that I can call Ms. Vicky or others to interpret as necessary. So its not sooo bad. Just a little boring, and unpleasant when you don’t feel so well.

Since I don’t have anything to do, I may as well be sick and stay in my room. Room is a little claustrophobic though. I do have a bigger bed this time, but all told its about 8’ x 10’. Only one small window, and the television is mounted in the wall. Very well planned, but pretty small.

It’s too dangerous to go out in the area on my own, although I have made arrangements to go to a nearby hotel and resort for a buffet on Sunday. It is the Royal Lagoon, a Sofitel hotel, and very beautiful.