Sunday, June 26, 2005

Round Three

Well, I couldn’t get into my apartment, so I figured I may as well play golf. And the Saturday afternoon forecast certainly sounded better than Sunday’s. So it was off for my first afternoon round in China.

It was a little hot though at 2:00 PM. At least I did get to play with two Chinese gentlemen that spoke a lot of English. One was in fact a sales representative for 3M. The other was a customer in the electronics industry. They weren’t great golfers, but they were enjoyable golfers and were in no rush. Which in this heat was just fine with me.

I even got into the Chinese way of carrying my umbrella in the sun. It sure feels better on the back than letting the sun beat you down. And these guys took a nice break after nine holes. I sure needed that too. They did surprise me when after the tenth, they announced they were cutting their round short and playing back to the clubhouse. We said farewells, and I decided to play on with my caddy. Caddy #8 was good. Again the bag was bigger than her.

By this time after 5 PM the sun had dropped enough for the cool afternoon breezes to assist in making it quite comfortable for play. I think I liked this better than starting in the morning, where as you tire near the back nine, it just keeps getting hotter toward mid-day.

The golf was ugly though. The course was extremely muddy and wet. I quit keeping score early. Seems when I don’t play much, I start out fairly good the first couple of rounds and get worse as I start trying to make adjustments myself. I really need a pro to help with that.

But all in all, a very relaxing and enjoyable round. And McDonald’s was even open after golf this week! I needed that Double Cheeseburger!