Saturday, August 06, 2005

Duck Tongue and Other Delights

The girls, Jessica, Paris, and Ziyi included me in invitation to another dining delight on Thursday (see first post together from July 19). This time it was a repeat trip to the Dongguan Old Restaurant near my apartment. But we were privileged by the additional patronage of Teri and Tony. (Tony didn’t make it in time for pictures. Aren’t I lucky in such company?!!)

We dined as usual on a mixture of amazing culinary specialties, all spun before each rice bowl on the table turntable. The highlight of this evening was in the deserts. We had two wonderful dim sum dishes that delighted the palate like none I had had in the three months since arriving – except maybe my first visit to the golf course – but my hunger probably caused overstatement of the taste on that occasion.

The unique dish of the night had to go to the plate pictured here today. As usual, I tried before asking what it was. I find it best to not always know beforehand. I was quickly told it was a special of the region: Duck’s Tongue. I thought maybe a squid by the look of it, but I guess I can see the difference now. The only the problem in not knowing what your eating, is in knowing how to eat it. On this occasion, I found myself biting into a bone like center, which was probably best chewed around. Well, at least I learned that lesson quickly.

Thursday nights are getting to be a unique cuisine night.