Sunday, September 11, 2005

A Different Hong Kong Massage

Hot moist towels!  Not once, but three times!  Rubbing of the temples.  Massage to the shoulders and head.  Did I succumb to another Hong Kong massage?  Nope!  Those are features of the haircut I got here yesterday!  Yes, I said haircut!

I’ve never had one like that!  Now, I have to first tell you too, that I hate getting a first haircut in a new location.  My first experience getting a haircut in Hong Kong wasn’t so good.  I wrote about it earlier, and had planned to finally post about that experience, but this one was so much better that I’m having a hard time deciding about posting it.  Maybe I will post it anyway to show about my fear of such first visits.  (See below.)

Well, on this Saturday, it was time to get another haircut.  I was getting a little shaggy.  So I had to decide where to go this time.  My boss, Richard, suggested a location near my doctor in Central, since I would be in that area.  So off I went hunting Talianna Barber Shop in Melbourne Place.  Finding it, I wasn’t so sure this would be good.  The barbers looked a little older.   And of course, Richard didn’t have too much hair to be referring barbers.  But I decided any reference was better than walking in someplace without one.

Man, was it great.  It was like having a masseuse give the haircut.  It started with a hot moist towel.  As he cut, he would stop and massage the head.  And it ended with a strong shoulder massage!  He even trimmed hairs on my neck and strays around the ear.  Although having someone come at me with an old barber’s knife to shave the inside of your ear is a little intimidating.  

Okay, my hair may be a little shorter now than I would have preferred, but man did that experience feel great!  Mr. Jang at Talianna.  I think I will be back.