Saturday, November 12, 2005

Back in the USA

I’m home!! Yes, I’m in the USA! It sure feels nice. Nothing quite like coming through the efficiency and respectful Customs and Immigration Area at O’Hare. It really makes you realize you are an American! And that is a good feeling!

Into Grand Rapids in the evening last night, and used the night to get some rest! I’m tired. Those 14 hour international flights just aren’t easy. And this one was no exception. I was beside a father with his new 13 month old adopted daughter. The mother had a seat across in center seat…….. So yea, I traded for most of the flight and crammed myself into a tight space to try to sleep.

It was better than staying by the baby. Let’s just say the little girl didn’t like the flight. The dad had to change clothes three times and even resorted to borrowing clothes from friends. It was a combination of the little girl not being so well, and the Chinese diapers not being too good. It was a good decision on my part to trade seats for the mother.

There were a total of 14 adopted girls on the return flight. The flights from Hong Kong to the US are regular adoption flights now.

And I couldn’t get an upgrade. They were even offering $400 for takers to delay their return a day. Not worth it. I’m glad I’m home!

On landing, I had another one of those unusual experiences of knowing someone in the airport. The Avis counter agent, Mark, has worked there for years, and has always done me well with a good car. I got a nice Trailblazer on this visit. Good to be behind a small SUV. I haven’t been behind the wheel in six months. Don’t tell Mark.

They already have Christmas music on the radio! Sure is different being home! But soooo nice!