Monday, December 12, 2005

New Phone Number

My cell phone has been signaling text messages to me every couple of hours this week. No I’m not that popular. I haven’t even been able to read any of them: 话号码改变了。 如果电话号码开始了与4, 现在有8 为前缀。. After getting a translation the first time I received one, I could begin to see a trend and could tell what most of the others meant.

I was being told my cell phone number is changing! Yes, the authorities have decided that the seven digits is not enough and have added an eighth. Anyone with a number that starts with 4, now gets an 8 in front, and anyone with any other starting number, gets an additional 2 prefix. See http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/ for assistance.

So now my cell number for Dongguan is: (0769) 8486 8935. Now you must figure out how to dial. I can’t begin to tell you all the codes. If you are in Guangdong Province, you probably only need the last eight digits. If from the US, you probably need to call 011 86 769 8486 8935.

Sorry about forcing you to change any recorded settings for my new number. Well, think about me. I am still changing the numbers for all my associates and friends. And the phones here aren’t intuitive in changing more than one number in the same fashion nor in an easy fashion. I can’t just go to the front of the number to edit. No, I have to erase a whole number to put in a prefix. And if I record someone as a speed dial, I still have to change their main number and their speed dial. But at least my cell phone here has English: very important.

BTW, while at it, an explanation on addresses here. This is my address for our Dongguan factory:
Dongguan Decca Furniture LTD.
Lot 25-36 Nan Chu Industrial Estate
Dalingshan Town
Dongguan City, Guangdong Province
China
Tel: (0769) 8335-1335
Fax: (0769) 8335-1466

Hong Kong Address:
Decca Furniture LTD.
2/F Decca Industrial Centre
21 Cheung Lee Street
Chaiwan, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2896-2649
Fax: (852) 2558 3177

Personal Apartment Address:
Gene Bryson
Dongguan New World Garden
Garden View Terrace
Building 5 16C
Dongcheng Road
Dongguan City, P.R.C.
Tel: (0769) 2276 3547

I keep being reminded that mail to China is not very efficient. Please refer to my Hong Kong business address for any correspondence. Our company drivers deliver mail from that location to our factory on a daily basis, for a safer more efficient process.