Saturday, March 25, 2006

Fish Head Hot Pot

Nothing like a dinner out with friends. ……. Unless, the menu is FISH HEADS!! Well, no better option for the night, so I opted to join in with some of my compatriots from work to another hot pot restaurant. This one was in Houjie, one of the many towns of this large city of Dongguan.

The restaurant was very nicely appointed, and included many Westerners dining at tables when we entered late on this Thursday night. Well, at least that meant there had to be more than fish heads. Soon a waiter was pouring hot tea for everyone from the longest spout on a tea pot I’ve ever seen. He was pretty good at it, until he tried showing off a little too much with a pour behind his back and slopped more on my pants than in the cup.

Soon we were into the Tsingtao pi jiu (beer), and a large copper pot was being filled with a delicious looking tomato soup. Then here came the fish heads. They at least looked better than most I’ve been served. But then came two plates of cooked and seemingly pickled dishes. Only I found out too soon what they were: fish skins and duck tongue. At least they were better than the next dish of stomach lining from something – I never did get a good translation from what – not that I really wanted it.

But there it was: YES! A plate of rolled beef!! I was in luck. The noodles were great too. They told me they were a special type, and they did taste delicious. We cooked our own delicacies in the broth. The waitress dipped out bowls of the tomato soup for consumption too. It was great. ………….. I passed on the fish heads. I did try the fish skin and duck tongue and even the stomach lining………… that was enough of that stuff.

My camera was acting up a little. I think I’m burning out the battery to the point it doesn’t recharge easily between shots. But I did get a few that I will post.

Another very interesting meal in China. I’m definitely loosing weight with this diet.