Thursday, June 22, 2006

66,838

66,838………… That’s a big number.  As of Monday, there were 66,837 candidates for transplant in the United States awaiting a new kidney.   So I figure that puts me makes me 66,838 on the list .  I am officially on the waiting list now.

There have only been 4,096 kidney transplants year to date in America.  The incongruity of those numbers may seem a little daunting.  I try not to worry about it.  I know a “living donor” is my best bet and I’ve had a few offers, from family and friends.  

It’s incredible to get such a genuine offer from someone, even when it’s a close relative.  What do you say to a person that’s offered one of their kidneys?  I’ve been more than little speechless.  

It also gives me great hope.  I know that I am going to get through this.  God is on my side.  My family is on my side.  My company has been incredible.  And I’m blessed with caring friends all over the world.  The outpouring of concern I’ve received in the last week has been incredible.  I thank you for all the emails and expressions of support.

The process for a transplant may take a little while.  As I keep mentioning, I am fine for now.  I watch what I eat to be sure to prolong the condition of my kidneys, in hopes they don’t deteriorate any further.   In time, my number will come up.  The best situation would be  a scheduled living donation; otherwise I’ll have to wait for my turn on the waiting list.  If I’m lucky enough to find a living donor I hope to schedule the transplant within the next 12 months.  If not, and I have to depend on the waiting list, it may be 3-5 years.  

What can you do?  
  • If you are truly interested in donating a living kidney, please contact my sister and the University of Colorado Hospital in Denver.  There are links in the right column you can use to take these actions now.  

  • Also, please take a look at the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) website, www.unos.org.  You can find a lot of data and information there.  Be sure to check on ways in which you can Share a Life!