Thursday, June 29, 2006

Guests and A Dedication


What a hectic week! I knew it would be busy, but I had no idea. I was expecting three visitors from our Atlanta offices, and my good friend, Chris, but we had a lot more.

You see, Monday was the Dedication of our new building. A special bus of our Hong Kong personnel was coming in to visit. Well, as the Atlanta group showed up they also informed me that we had just received a call from the Starwood Resort folks (Sheraton), and they had five people ready for a tour of our facility on Monday too!! Well, look out; let’s just have everyone show up at once.

The Starwood group arrived and wanted a quick tour – impossible in a facility of now over 1 million square feet. Plus, they wanted to question everything they saw! And to top it off the temperature was peaking around 35°C (think around 95°F).

I had been at Decca on the day we had the original ground breaking for the new building in March of last year. So I had been lucky enough to see the addition of 360,000 square feet from the start. I wanted to be around for more of the Dedication, but I had to continue the tour with our guests. Besides we didn’t want them standing too long in the sun anyway. A guests passing out from sunstroke is not a good thing.

The Dedication took place on the rooftop of the new building in a scorching sun. I thought someone said there would be umbrellas available, but that was only for those smart enough to think about bringing their own. Another dozen management members huddled under my shadow! Don’t laugh…. They were enjoying it!

But I had to move along with the tour before most of the festivities. I was able to get a lot of photos from the many photographers there for the day. And I did hear part of the ceremony, particularly the fireworks, even when I was some distance away. What a string of fireworks. It was probably a good thing that I wasn’t so close to that noise!

More photos available from the link "New Building Dedication Ceremony" link in the right column.