Saturday, July 15, 2006

July Health Update

All right, I know I’ve not been keeping up with my postings to my blog lately.  I’ll try to catch up.  So here is a little of an update:

I’m doing fine.  Doctors tell me I am fairly stable.  But that doesn’t take away from the need for a new kidney.  I still need a new one!    

In the meantime, I still go on with life.  I have few side effects.  My mouth tastes like I’ve been chewing metal from time to time.  And I never even “spit nails” in an upholstery plant! [Inside joke for furniture friends.]  I play golf from time to time.  Work is still about the same.  I do tire very easily up stairs or hills, but other than that, I’m doing pretty well.

Since I posted the notice about my situation, I’ve heard from many of you from around the world.  The emails have been very rewarding.  I really appreciate the outpouring of support and kindness.  It has been good to hear of the prayers and concerns from all over the globe.  I know the spirit of all of you with God’s help will get me through this.  But it will still take a new kidney.

So far, one relative is being tested for a match, and I know of one friend that may be tested.  Another friend who was so gracious to step forward with an offer had a history of diabetes that negated him as a candidate.

Still the offer alone by someone to consider such a thing has been almost too much to handle.  I really don’t know what to say to someone who has even given it a thought.  It is a lot to ask of anyone.  But then again, I know I still need a new kidney, and one from a friend or relative is my best bet.  I have to keep reminding myself that I do need to put someone through this, and that the risks have now been greatly minimized.

As I mentioned in one posting, the numbers of patients awaiting transplant are rather daunting and frightening.  At this time, I am not even really on the waiting list for a cadaver kidney.  I am listed, but somewhat in absentee.  Being in China puts me too far away to get one if it came available with a match for me, but there are so many other patients ahead of me right now, that that is really a mute point.  

If I get to the point of a cadaver kidney being the best option, I will be back in the USA.  But as I’ve mentioned before, a living kidney donation is still my best bet right now.  

If you are considering or will consider, please read the posting from my sister of a few weeks ago and contact her or the University of Colorado, Denver Hospital.