Saturday, January 06, 2007

007 in Dongguan


What a New Year! It’s 007! Can you believe it? It seems like we just entered the new millennium yesterday. But here it is several years later, and I’m on the other side of the world.

Well what better way to enter into a new year than with friends gathered at your favorite local pub! And to do it right, the One for the Road commemorated 2007 with a special tribute to James Bond, or 007. It wasn’t with too much fanfare, but patrons were requested to dress up like Bond or characters from the famous series. Only a couple of guests really got into the details, but most everyone did dress up a little more formally. I myself even took the opportunity to wear my favorite necktie. It wasn’t exactly a small black one in Bond fashion, but I enjoyed it anyway.

All through the night, guests had poppers and other party favors to enjoy. Everyone got into the spirit, and I guess I should say, the spirits too. O’Hara’s were on special, and Big Mike fixed a setup of vodka martinis: “shaken, not stirred” (of course).

The highlight of the evening was the arrival of 007 at midnight. The pub had confetti guns for most guest. The air was filled with the paper and blasts from all corners of the room. It literally took days to clean the room. What a hoot! Or I should say: “Blast!” I stayed behind the camera and got a lot of great pics of the entertainment. I woulda like to have fired at least one cannon, but I still had a lot of fun!

It may be small groups partying over here, but we do know how to do it! Happy New Year!!

Photos available under Photo Links on the right: James Bond Night at One for the Road

And under Links you can connect direct to the pub’s great, new website on the right too: One for the Road