Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Breakfast at McDonald's

I had just noticed the other night that McDonald’s had announced they had breakfast now. Being Easter Monday, and not having to work, I figured it would be a good day to try out the new menu. So off I went to one of the nearby local trustworthy locations. There are three McD’s within a couple of blocks of my home in Dongguan City.

I opted for the sausage and egg muffin meal. All seemed pretty good. I got my meal and sat down for a relaxing meal. But when I opened my wrapper realized there was NO sausage. So here we go……….. back to the side counter to get help. The young lady first tried to tell me I had ordered the one with no sausage. I insisted I had ordered the option with sausage, and the young lady that took my order thankfully nodded in agreement. So there I stood. Soon the assistant or manager told me something in Chinese that I figured meant she would bring my corrected bun to my table. They often deliver to tables here.

So there I sat patiently. And sat. After about ten minutes I finally went back to the counter again. Oh, the young assistant replied: I forgot.” Forgot!! Are you kidding me? There are not that many people here? How could she forget me? I am a little different than most patrons here.

Finally, she got me the biscuit and back I went to my table. Opened the bun, and wouldn’t ya know it: it was hard as a rock. They had evidently micro waved the same original wrong muffin. So I complained again. The assistant again apologized and went back to make another.

Another couple of minutes and another clerk brought me a new biscuit. Opened it again with her standing there, and I couldn’t believe it. Now they had the sausage, but now they had forgotten the egg!! The clerk seemed embarrassed. Off she went running behind the counter again.

Back with another. And YES! It was finally right! Must have been 30 minutes before I got the correct order!! It took FOUR times to get it right! Four times!

Not a good start for breakfast at McDonald’s!

[What is it with my luck at meals lately? A friend of mine and I had just been lamenting about how tough it is for foreigners at restaurants to get good service just the night before. If you’ve noticed I’ve had a few articles about such occurrences.]

BTW, the muffin was pretty good. Only this sure wasn’t a biscuit. It was only in a regular hamburger bun, and they had soaked it in ketchup. Not exactly a typical McDonald’s breakfast, but definitely the typical service I’m getting accustomed to here.

Labels: , , ,