Thursday, July 26, 2007

PKD and My Health

My need for a new kidney hasn’t changed. At times I think the world has been awfully kind to me and I’m living easier than I should be by now. I get the impression my doctor is even surprised at my health. But my ailment, Polycystic Kidney Disease, is not always predictable. For me that has been a good thing. My rising creatinine levels have been on a slow ascent. They are still rising. But thankfully very slowly. At least so far.

This month my creatinine crested 500 for the first time. I am getting ever closer to dialysis. I don’t feel any pain, and most people are surprised to hear I could be in need of a kidney. As I’ve often said, about the only time I can tell anything is wrong, is when I climb stairs or steep inclines. I really hate deep sand traps now! Especially in this heat!

I really don’t want to go through dialysis. Of course, I don’t want a transplant either, but know that I must. And if dialysis is necessary, I will do it too. I don’t even like to give blood, but I gave a unit a week for 12 straight weeks in the mid-80’s, when I found out my iron levels were too high. So I guess I can go through dialysis if I have to.

I just don’t know if I want to do that here in China. Again, I will if necessary, but it would sure be a lot better if I could just get a new kidney and be done with it all. They tell me it is better to get a new kidney before dialysis, if possible, too.

I recently got listed on the pkd.org as being a patient with PKD that writes about it in a blog. Some of the blogs of other patients (link from here) are far more uncomfortable as they have endured tougher situations than I. I just hope and pray I don’t get to the state of some of these folks.