Friday, September 28, 2007

She Wants Me to Tie Her Up???

Wow! Am I dreaming? I am sure she wants me to tie her up. I must be dreaming. But why are those lights so bright!

Okay, I was actually doing my magic act debut. It started innocently enough. I was seated on the front row of the theater with other management at the Mid-Autumn Festival Show. The company had opted to hire a special troupe for a show of Chinese culture. In the second show, the magician, a beautiful lady in traditional attire invited me up to the stage. Not to be one to disappoint the cheering crowd, I complied. (Or was that jeering?)

I was soon lost. The lights were blaring brightly. She was asking me to do something. Of course, she was speaking in Mandarin. Oh, why hadn’t I learned the language after all this time here? It sure would help now! What is she saying?

Okay, she’s handing me a coat. That must mean she wants me to put it on. Ahhh! That’s it. But great, it is about half my size. At least the audience loves how it fits on me. The arms only reach down to about my elbows. This may have been the first time this trick had been performed with a big American. I hope I don’t rip it.

And now she hands me a rope. Nice…….. Oh, she wants me to do something with it. …..or with her hands. Oh, tie her hands. (At least crowd is really loving my bumbling, in not understanding her Chinese.)

Now another assistant comes out. Good someone to help me. I need that! She has a big rope and starts wrapping the magician lady, and hands me an end. Oh……. I’m supposed to wrap her up too. ………….. Oh, oh…… I got it = I’m supposed to tie her up!! Okay. I can do that. Wrap and tie. That was easy. Now what?

Another assistant shows up with a tent. Ahhh, someone is going to get in this. What am I supposed to do? Get in. Okay. No, they pull me out. I guess that wasn’t right. No, the magician is getting in. No, wait, now they want me in too? Oh…………. Both of us. Now this sounds like fun……… Huh? Why you pulling my head out? What I have to keep my head out? Bummer! I wanted to see this!

Over. That was quick. There goes the tent. Wait a minute. Where’s my coat? Okay, I thought I felt something under that tent. But where’d it go? Wait, she has it on? Huh? The ropes are still tied on her! Over the coat I had on! Now how did she do that?

Oh, she wants me to do something else. Oh, I’m supposed to untie her. Should I do that? ……………. Okay, I guess the fun in the tent is over anyway. So I do untie all my knots from before. They are the same ones. And there is the coat on her. Now how’d she do that?

Since the show, a lot of folks have asked how she did that. But I don’t know! …… I was right there. Okay, my head was out of the tent, but I was close. But I have no idea how she did it. I felt the coat go right away, but I still don’t know how she got it on so quickly under those ropes. I guess that was magic.

Whatever, my magic debut sure was fun! Even in Chinese! What a great place to work and live!

More photos by clicking here, or using link in right column.

Labels: , , ,