Monday, February 18, 2008

China & Warmer

Well, I’m back in China and yes, it’s finally getting a little warmer. Of course, that is after I purchased an additional space heater to try to warm my apartment. It has done nicely. Only I almost wish it didn’t have a fancy digital register on it. It tells the actual temperature, something I really didn’t need to know. Even when I plugged it in, after temperatures had risen in Dongguan, I was rather surprised to find the temperature at 16°C. Heck that’s only 60°F!! No wonder I’ve been cold!

Getting back to China was not so easy, as all things seem to be here sometimes. I had changed flights from Bangkok to Guangzhou from Sunday to Thursday. Not being sure of the seats, I had to go to the airport early last Thursday. That part was okay. But of course, little China Southern made me run from one end of the biggest single airport terminal in the world to the other and back to get my ticket. It seems they can’t accept payment and made me go to Thai Airways service center a mile away for the transaction, before I had to return to claim my ticket.

And of course, wouldn’t ya know it, I got to Guangzhou on time only to receive a call from my company people, that my driver couldn’t get to the city! No, they had closed the highway to Guangzhou. It was open to Dongguan, but a section of the elevated highway had collapsed slightly and was now closed.

So I had to take a bus!

And then cabs were again the joke of Dongguan. They had a taxi stand near the bus terminal, but of course, taxi after taxi would pull in and announce they only wanted to go to Houjie for a big fare. They didn’t want to take any of the many passengers mulling around looking for a ride across the city. No they had to make us wait for other taxis for another 30 minutes.

Labels: , , ,