Sunday, May 22, 2005

Buffet for King

I did get one treat on Sunday. I visited the Royal Lagoon Sofitel hotel nearby for the Sunday buffet. What a treat! I stuffed myself.

The Royal Lagoon is about a 30 minute drive from Decca’s plant site. It is still in the city of Dongguan (it’s a pretty big city), but a world of difference. A resort catering to Americans and other guests to this large industrial city, it has a five-star rating. And well deserved.

A large lake skirts the entry. Huge dragon boat is in the water. Pagodas pop up from numerous points around the lake. And two 18 hole golf courses are nearby.

The hotel is a very modern facility on the hill overlooking the lake. The pool is one of the biggest I have ever seen.

But I was here for the meal. At least 40 P.R.C. Guard members beat me to the bar on my first visit, and I had to wait for refilling. On the other hand, I was much more interested in the cheese and breads than they were. In fact, I think I had the cheese all to myself.

I stuffed myself on potato salad, cheese, bread, sushi, green beans, and even a cheese and onion omelet. For desert there was bread pudding, lime squares, and apple pound cake. What a treat!

Wish I had felt a little better. My cold prevented me from really digging in to more.