Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Closer to a New Home

I got called from the factory today to urgently join the operations manager, Tony, on a trip. We were going to visit a nearby furniture factory. So here I jump in the van with a driver and Tony, and we head out.

(Why do the Chinese have English names? I’ll have to ask that sometime.)

Well, thirty minutes later, we pull into a beautiful complex that looked familiar. But I couldn’t imagine making furniture in this high rise. I was soon to learn that this was my proposed new home!!! Yes, my own place! At New World Garden!!

I had visited here when I came to interview in China in March. And I had requested to live there when I took the job. I just didn’t know this trip was to check an option. In fact, there were three options.

After learning the third option was up several floors with no elevator, I agreed to a couple of choices. Both were very similar, and the favored overlooked the tennis, swimming pool, and clubhouse. Size was a little surprising for a two bedroom. I think either unit might have fit in my master bedroom back home. Okay, not quite. But they were most convenient and very nice.

Each was furnished. The Chinese seem to really favor modern. I may have to change the chairs and sofa. They were a little less comfy than I would prefer. Bed was a little hard too, but that’s okay.

Tony keeps surprising me. As we were leaving he pointed out his own apartment there. Said he hadn’t visited it in sometime. When I asked why he had it, he just grinned and answered: “Storage”.

So I may have a new home soon. Still haven’t visited the other factory, but that’s okay, this was the preferred visit today. More later.