Thursday, May 26, 2005

A Double Cheeseburger!!

I just had a Double Cheeseburger!! I never thought I would enjoy McDonald’s so much in my life!

Tired of Chinese food day after day, I finally requested a burger tonight. I was treated to the local McDonald’s. It was really my only choice in burger nearby. But ohhhhhh how good! I sure enjoyed!!

Surprisingly the only offered Combos were with double cheeseburger and Big Mac in the burger options. Over here, chicken is the preferred meat of choice. There were a lot more options with chicken.

The burger tasted close to a US version, and in fact, was probably better than a version I had in London. The fries were very similar. The Coke was served in a smaller wider version, even though fries were “Biggee sized”. I even followed it up with an ice cream sundae!!

All told the two of us ate for 47 renminbi. Not many locals eat there too often. The wage for a skilled employee at Decca – like a finishing sprayer - is only about 35 renminbi per day! That’s about $4.23 US. Most operators only get about 20 renminbi per day.

A waitress actually visited our table to sell the sundae and deliver it. And I was told to ignore cleaning the table. They leave the cleanup to the McDonalds help right at your table!!