Wednesday, May 25, 2005

He Who Honks Loudest Has Right of Way

I haven’t driven a vehicle now in weeks. And I don’t look forward to even thinking about driving here. The rules are entirely different. And I don’t just mean driving regulations.

I confirmed the other day: “He who honks loudest has the right of way”. They definitely do a lot of honking here. My “hotel” room is on the backside to the street, and until late at night there is constant honking. Trucks and cars constantly just honk to move into a lane, or prompt pedestrians and other vehicles out of the way.

Honking is somewhat required too. Pedestrians are everywhere. There are always sooo many people. The highways, except for freeways, have pedestrians constantly crossing the road. They go about a lane at a time and just stop precariously between lanes to dodge cars passing each way, before then jumping to the next lane. Remember “Frogger”? Certainly comes to mind.

And vehicles cross intersections, merge, and change lanes, just by honking and moving. Somehow there don’t seem to be too many risky situations created. The Chinese seem to be understanding. I’ve seen no rise in tempers. Road rage would be at all time highs in the US over this type driving. Yesterday, we crossed right into the lane of another van, and it just slowed and waited for us. Seemed pretty close for comfort, but we survived.

I’ve told many of you the story about what Tony, our Operations Manager, told me on the way back from the wedding reception I attended on my visit here in March. As we approached an intersection near our plant, we had passed a moped. Stopping at one of the only stop lights soon thereafter, I was quite surprised when the same moped sped by me and weaved its way through cars traversing the intersection. I know I would not have been to comfortable riding on the back of that moped, like the three riders it carried. I turned to Tony and asked if a red light didn’t mean to stop. He just grinned and said: “Generally, but I’m being kind with you in the car today”.

I was glad he was being kind for me.