Monday, May 30, 2005

Target Practice

In my quest for activity on Sunday, I found my way to the former squash court at the “hotel”. Now converted into an indoor golf driving range, it was most relaxing to hit balls into the large net. The clubs are very nice looking “Nike” irons and woods. I say, “looking”, because that is what they are. The local factory turns out very nice reproductions. But that’s another story in the works.

I was blasting balls into the target at the end of the room. It is regulation squash size room, with the netting strung between tall PVC piping. A target in the center makes a good thud when hit well. And the floor is covered in Astroturf, so we don’t end up with balls ricocheting off the wood floor underneath.

The clubs hit amazingly well. At least they do into a net. You always wonder how much off line they will be when you get out to a range or the course, and begin hitting over distance instead of a target only a few yards away.

Anyway, I was getting my frustrations out, when I noticed an odd shape behind the net at the back wall. It seemed rather odd to have a cat outlined on the wall. Taking a closer look, I crept around the net to come face to face with a pumpkin colored live cat!! How it hadn’t moved while I had been blasting balls into the target over its head was beyond me. But it was definitely alive, and I didn’t fancy finding out its reason for being in a locked driving range. So I gave up the range to the cat.

My next act was even more fruitless. I tried in vain to tell the waitress at dinner that there was a moving live animal in the driving range. God knows what she probably thought I was trying to tell her with all my motions and animations I was making. To say the least she didn’t understand.

When some of the English-speaking managers returned today, I relayed the story and they passed along to the waitress at lunch. They all seemed to have a good laugh on my behalf. I hope waitress wasn’t saving the cat for …………. No, I’m going to just not think about that……….