Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Christmas Trees

It finally got a little warmer here.  Last week was cold!!  I mentioned before that it got down to 5° C.  Well, that may not sound chilly, but when there are NO heated buildings anywhere, you have a hard time ever getting warm.  I’ve felt a cold deep to my bones all week.  And my apartment has been like an icebox – absolutely no heat, barring the small space heater I recently procured.

I took the warmer weather on Sunday to walk up the street.   McDonalds was interesting with a huge bouncy playground out front for kids.  The Mickey stood taller than me.  Kids were all over it.  And yes, the double cheeseburger was delicious!  

Wandering on over to the Ole´ department store, I bought a few things for my apartment.  I even found a small Santa candle to try to get in the Christmas spirit.  A few of the department stores do have large Christmas trees out front, so it’s not entirely barren of decorations around here.  Our apartment even put up a Christmas tree in the lobby, and draped a few plants with colorful garlands.   By the look of the decorations, I imagine they’ve been doing this for us Westerners inhabiting the complex for a few years.  But you would think they would get the tree a little straighter.  It looks like the leaning tower of Chrismon.

As I was leaving the Ole´, I thought it odd that the department store was not selling Christmas trees.  I regretted not getting one at Wal-Mart a few nights before, but I was touring some friends visiting from HBF, and shopping was not on the agenda.  Just as I had given up hope at the Ole´ and ready for a taxi, there it was:  a large Christmas tree display.  They even had trimmings and decorations of a wide variety.  

I bought two trees, one for my apartment, and a very small one for my office.  May as well try to spread the spirit a little in my own way.  Merry Christmas!