Thursday, September 07, 2006

The HOT Sign is On in Hong Kong

I knew it was here somewhere, but these small streets in this area look pretty much all alike. I was scanning down every street, straining my neck over the masses to see. When there ahead down a small alley was the bright red neon: The HOT Sign!

Hallelujah!! Hallelujah!! I had found it! The Krispy Kreme store in Causeway Bay was open and the HOT sign was on! YES!

I have mentioned the new Krispy Kreme store in a couple of other postings, but this was my first chance to go there myself! Ahhhh! What a nice experience! Almost just like home. Okay there was one major exception. I’ll get to that later. The store is located in an affluent area of Causeway Bay between the major Sogo Department Store and two major shopping complexes: Times Square and Lee Garden. The store is about as small as any I’ve ever been in before, ….. and okay, I’ve been in quite a few Krispy Kreme stores. But it still had the doughnut conveyor line encased in glass, just along the right wall as you came inside, a small seating area, and the standard counter displays..

As typical all over China, there were many employees. And I mean many. They didn’t move too much. They didn’t have room to move. They just passed information and doughnuts from one employee to the next.

But the greeting was great! I was immediately “Welcome[d]”, and a kind attendant at the end of the conveyor handed me a hot glazed morsel of dough fresh from the line! Ahhh! How sweet it is! Or was. Tasted just like any “original” back home. And here they were giving a few out to entice visitors. I know they probably went out to impress me a little more since I was a Westerner, but they probably didn’t realize that this was far removed from my first Krispy Kreme experience. Heck, I have been eating KK doughnuts for longer than most of these kids have been alive.

I asked a couple of times of one young lady that had greeted me “Anyone here from North Carolina?” While in High Point last week, an employee at a KK store there (okay I visited that one last week too), told me one of the store employees had come to HK to assist in the opening. But neither this girl nor anyone else in ear’s range seemed to understand my question or were too involved in work to care. They just ignored me and kept trying to sell me more doughnuts.

Okay, here is the big exception. Each original doughnut cost $10HK. That is about $1.29 in US dollars!! And a dozen cost $88HK or over $11 US. Now aren’t ya glad you can buy ‘em cheaper than that in NC. Maybe I’ll try to use my coupons I got in High Point for an extra dozen. The HOT Sign is on in Hong Kong!