Thursday, April 12, 2007

Replace the "What?"

“We replace our car horns every year?” Well, I coulda fallen off the chair. I have never heard of such a thing. ……….. But then again……. I can understand it over here.


Those were the words of one of our company managers at a luncheon a few months ago. I had never ever heard of replacing car horns. He was making the comment, because the city of Dongguan was enacting a new ordinance that does not allow the use of car horns. Yep, soon drivers can’t use car horns. And this has already been enacted in many of the other major cities in China.

Why? NOISE!! It’s unbelievable. The drivers here all think the horn is a miracle device to stop and avoid any concern. So they just continually all blast the horn. It gets pretty bad!

One day, for the fun of it, I just counted the number of times my driver used his horn during our thirty minute ride home. It was 27 times!! In less than 30 minutes! Almost one time per minute! And I’m not talking about blasts of the horn. I am just talking about instances the horn is used, be it three short blasts or one long blast! The other night, one of my drivers used the horn 10 times in the five minute drive just out to the highway.

And of course, most other drivers are doing the same thing. My driver sees someone along the road ahead, and he blasts the horn to warn them to stay there. A car veers out of its lane, and my driver honks the horn. A car comes up from behind to pass, and it honks it horn at us. It’s constant.

Anyone who has talked to me on my cell phone during my morning commute has commented on the horn blasts. Me…. Well….I’m getting immune to it. I think most everyone is here, so they figure they may as well outlaw the horns.

Gonna be interesting seeing how they enforce this one. But at least we may save a little money with fewer car horns to buy.

Labels: , ,