Thursday, November 08, 2007

One Legged Break Dancing in Dongguan

Now I have seen a lot in China, but this might take the cake! I have never seen one-legged guys break dance before last night! But now I can say I have!

One of my favorite quotes about China is “You see something everyday, you’ve never seen before!” Well, I had certainly never seen this before. I went to the show with great anticipation of seeing one of the extravaganzas I’ve seen on television from time to time, and even used to see here at the Dongguan Cultural Center out my former apartment window. Only this show was not one of the outdoor talent fests. No, this was in the auditorium. So I certainly was a little more than surprised when entertainer after entertainer performed after introductions about their disabilities.

It turns out this must have been the famous Chinese Disabled Persons Performing Arts Troupe. They are highly respected, and certainly put on a great show. Occasionally some of the singing or entertainment was a little lacking, but most were very good. It just seemed a little odd to have entertainer after entertainer come out to perform. I didn’t know if I should feel sorry for them, or just enjoy the concert. I tried to just enjoy. I mean it’s not often you see a performer trying to get the crowd cheering from a wheelchair.

The highlight of the evening was the performance by the dancers doing the Thousand Hands Guan Yin dance. It was similar to the dance performed at the Decca show a month or two ago, but this group was all deaf, and the bigger troupe made it more spectacular! It truly was amazing to see the coordination considering their disabilities. There are many videos of the dance on the web, and I will attach a link here (that I hope works better than mine).

More pictures also available here.

Well, it’s off to the US now. I need a break from the bizarre and “different everyday!”

Labels: , , ,