Saturday, November 13, 2010

GB Update: Four Months!!

Another month past! Yep, yesterday marked my fourth month with my new kidney! Really nice to keep counting down the months.

And I’m really getting down to a normal life finally. Wound vac is gone. I can roll over in my sleep without getting tangled in dialysis or vacuum pump tubes! What a comfort! This is great.

I did have a few scares, but all turned out to be nothing major. First, I’ve mentioned that my foot had severe aches for a long time. Doctors felt it was a flair up of gout. I’ve had it before, so that was only reasonable. But medications just weren’t reliving the pain. And x-rays had shown no visible concerns. So finally I had a bone scan last week. And surprise: I have a broken metatarsal bone! Nothing I can do for it now. It’s healing already. Just gotta be careful and let it heal more. Big positive: not gout, nor infection (which really scared me!)

Second, I had some swelling in area of my new kidney. Doctors thought this might be another hernia. Can’t imagine that, since I had played golf so easy (yeah – right!). Well, luck again prevailed. After CT scan, it just seems to be a little swelling or fat. Don’t laugh! I have a right to be concerned about such things when I’m depending on this new kidney now!

I’ve even been working some. I spent a week in Toronto recently for an office furniture manufacturer (connected by an old friend). And I’m working in Thomasville with an upholstery plant for a month. I even have some good leads on a permanent job. Afraid it may take me back to Asia. I want to work there, but prefer to base in US now. Just not sure I can find anything that good. We’ll see.

In meantime, I can get back to golf!

Labels: