Friday, April 14, 2006

Lufthansa Torture

Guten Tag! I’m in Munich now. Yea, 12 hours of flying and still not to Italy. This is just my first stop. How many airports am I gonna see over the next few weeks? ……. Ahhhhhhh, I don’t want to think about it.

My back already feels like it has been twisted on a medieval rack of torture. In fact, the seat from my Lufthansa flight will probably be in a museum some day as a form of modern “rack of torture”. It sure was for me. How do they justify seats like that? It sure ain’t for people my size. I had to bend my legs out to just sit behind the seat in front of me. And when the lady in that seat rolled her seat back, I was scrunched up like a stuffed pretzel.

And my seat didn’t recline more than an 1”. The check in attendant agreed to get me legroom, didn’t he? This is legroom? You gotta be kiddin! He don’t know his planes.

Okay, it was the back row next to a wall panel, but there was another 6-8” clearance to the wall. Why didn’t the seat just recline to the wall? At least the girl beside me was small. She was young Hong Kong professional headed to Italy for vacation herself.

The plane flew through the darkness of night over the vast plains of China, and on over Russia near Moscow, before bending back into Munich. At least at nighttime everyone was pretty quiet. Most everyone looked to be sleeping fairly well. The lady in front of me sure was. My lap must be pretty comfortable.