Monday, April 10, 2006

Mirrors and Lights

Why is it bathrooms have notoriously poor lighting and lousy mirrors? Or is that just the places I stay? It has been recently.

When I got my apartment I looked closely at the rooms and television, but didn’t really pay much attention to some of the little things. My bathroom mirror was one in particular that I should have paid more attention to. I did notice the lighting was weird. The modern style living area has two antique looking chandeliers that hug the ceiling….. Are they ever short?!?! And the two bedrooms have cartoon figures on the overhead lamp covers!?!?! Who used these rooms last? Oh well, I don’t look up too much.

But I do try to look in the mirror. But it isn’t very easy. The only one in the apartment is in the bathroom, and it is barely big enough for me to see my face. It can’t be more than 10” by 12”. Man, is it small! And then the light in the bathroom is some high recessed fixture with one of them curly fluorescent bulbs. To say the least, I don’t have to worry about seeing my ugly mug in the mornings…. much less any other time.

And I find lighting in most bathrooms to be pretty poor. Don’t you? Why is it the lights in hotel bathrooms have to be behind your head when ya stand at a sink? All ya get is a shadow down your face. So many now get fancy with those neat little halogen lights, but all they do is shine the top of my head. I don’t need to see all those new gray hairs! Give me a good bathroom with lights and mirror!