Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Back in My Hard Bed Again

Back in China! And back in my own bed! Always great, huh? Maybe the latter ain’t so great in my case. I was, let me count……… I think it was ten different beds (or versions of a bed) over the last couple of weeks, during my trip to the US and back to China.

I finally got back to the bed in my new furnished apartment last Thursday night. Good to be back. But, this bed isn’t quite like home yet. I thought the bed in my last apartment was hard, but this one is more like sleeping on a slab of concrete than it is a mattress. The beds here don’t come with box springs. They are just incredibly hard mattresses on a plywood frame.

I must admit though that I think I like the hard bed better than a few of the soft ones in some of the hotels I slept in over the trip. Some were so soft that just to get out of bed was a real challenge. Whenever my alarm would sound, I always found myself climbing up mounds of down, blankets, and pillows to get to silence the offending noise. When did they start putting a dozen pillows on a bed anyway?

The Chinese just plain like hard beds. I guess it should not be a surprise for a group of people that can sleep on any hard surface. Heck, they sleep sitting or even when standing on the subway in Hong Kong.

At our factory dormitory, we changed the bedding in our guest rooms to better accommodate weary travelers. We did not change the bedding for our own employees. And I was recently in a new nearby Hyatt Hotel that has Western style soft bedding too. In both cases, the catering to Westerners certainly influenced softer bedding.

In the meantime, I have got to go back to Wal-Mart and see if I can find some more bed covers to try to soften mine some more!