Thursday, November 15, 2007

China Report in North Carolina

Are my eyes deceiving me? I don’t believe what I’m seeing! Here I go half way around the world, traveling for 30 hours, finally find a hotel, turn on the TV and what is staring at me? The red flag of China!! Ahhhhhh!!! Didn’t I leave China behind me?? I am in North Carolina! Aren’t I???

Sure enough, I turned on the television in a Chapel Hill Days Inn, where I finally found a room last Friday night, and there was a big red flag with golden stars! It just stayed there for several minutes. And I just stared at it in disbelief! I was really tired and wasn’t sure my mind was functioning on all cylinders. I was in such disbelief I didn’t change the channel.

But then it changed to the screen below and the “China Report” started in Mandarin! Unbelievable. China news was being shown here! In North Carolina! ……….. Okay, it is Chapel Hill. Not exactly the bastion of southern roots.

Turns out the local Chapel Hill station (so my daughter later explained), shows news from around the world at different times. Ironically, I timed my arrival and switched on the television just right. A little eerie. Or surreal at the least.

At least they showed the whole newscast without a censor pre-empting it for Samantha Brown to climb to the top of the cathedral in Seville!

Labels: ,