Monday, September 18, 2006

Read about Driving in China

While home the other week, I had the occasion to read newspapers again. Seems trivial, I know, but I don’t get a newspaper here too often. Now think about it, do you think they sell many English papers here? They actually do print English newspapers in Hong Kong, so I can obtain occasionally, but not often.

Well, reading USA Today was a great treat while in NC. And the most interesting article I read was actually about China. Wouldn’t ya know it? It was all about the perils and tribulations surrounding driving vehicles in this country. I’ll attach a link:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-08-30-china-cars_x.htm

I’ve repeatedly mentioned I was going to write about the roads here, but I haven’t yet put it all together. There is just too much to write about concerning traffic over here. It’s so much that I just don’t know where to start. Anyway here is some comment about it. .

Let me first relate a little bit of a parallel to things here. Back in the ‘80’s, while I was working with Westinghouse I had the occasion to assist in evaluating the startup of a manufacturing facility in Saudi Arabia. I remember well how Ken Gallier summed up our team’s collective thoughts that manufacturing wasn’t so much of a concern there, but it was our concern that “surviving the perils of riding the roads of Saudi Arabia would be the greatest challenge facing any ex-pat” assigned to the task of living there. Well, little did I know that I would now live in a country that is even a greater challenge.

Just read the USA Today article. Over 15% of the world’s traffic-related deaths occur in China. Now on first blush, you would understand that considering there are over 1.3 billion people. But then you read that there are only 2% of the world’s cars! That is a pretty big differential.

Now I will tell you that I am not surprised by these statistics. I daily ride a half hour to and from work and home, and it is always an amazing experience. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other vehicles constantly switch from lane to lane. Many vehicles are constantly going up and down roads the wrong direction. All the while, people are walking or running across traffic every 100 feet or so. And motorcycles, bicycles, and other slower two or three wheeled vehicles are challenging everyone else by just going wherever they want, in a dare to be killed attitude.

It really boggles my mind that I haven’t seen more wrecks or accidents. How there isn’t an accident every few feet is beyond belief?

Until I saw the USA Today article, I was about convinced things weren’t so bad somehow. I guess the numbers speak otherwise, but it is still amazing there aren’t more accidents. Buckle up tight if you visit here.