Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Visit to Dongguan City Center

Wow! Have I ever been busy! I’ve been hosting an associate, Ed S., working with us from Seattle the last two weeks, and entertaining him and keeping his project going has kept me hopping. I had to go to Hong Kong to assist him with Visa on arrival, and then I’ve shown him around the Guangdong Province the last two weeks. We’ve been to Guangzhou, all over Dongguan, and worked very hard daily on the software project that brought Ed here in the first place.

Well last Saturday, I took Ed through the main center plaza of Dongguan City, and there was a lot I had never seen. It is always an amazing tour anyway. There are four museums, many government facilities, including a People’s Hall, the convention center, and fountains and parks that are incredible.

Now I’ve been dragged to the Great Musical Fountain in Grand Haven, Michigan a couple of times. But believe me, Dongguan may have it beat. There wasn’t the theatrical presentation of it’s Michigan counterpart, but they do have fountains dancing to music. And we were there in the daytime. I bet the nighttime is even more spectacular. The size of the fountains was unbelievable too. It was enough that the first one we visited one was at least the size of a football field, but after traversing around the plaza further to the north, there was another even bigger fountain!! It was spectacular.

All this sits amidst incredible buildings. There is the Science and Youth Museum. There is a huge public library open 24 hours a day. The People’s Hall is enormous. The cylindrical music hall was the building I have already featured and written about last year, when it opened and we went to see the Russian National Orchestra perform. There is a statue much like an Alexander Calder piece.

What an incredible plaza? And I’m told that all of it is less than five years old. It is said also to be a modern version of Tiananmen Square. And I bet you had never even heard of Dongguan!